Koukalova beat Dutch qualifier Kiki Bertens

in Gedichte 01.11.2019 04:30
von ruogu1234 • Admiral ** | 271 Beiträge

MONTREAL -- The excitement in the grandstands over Canadas recent tennis success appears to have been lost on American Sloane Stephens and Slovakias Dominika Cibulkova. Stephens used an accurate serve and steady pressure to rout Aleksandra Wozniak of Blainville, Que., 6-3, 6-0 while Cibulkova recovered from a mid-match stutter to down 17-year-old Francoise Abanda of Montreal 6-1, 3-6, 6-0 in opening round matches Monday at the US$2.44 million womens Rogers Cup. Stephens, ranked 22nd in the world, was never in trouble against the 26-year-old Wozniak, who is trying to battle back to her career-high No. 21 ranking after years of arm and shoulder trouble. "She really played well," Wozniak said of Stephens. "She served at a high percentage, 75 per cent, and it was tough to return. "It wasnt easy, for sure. You have a warrior mentality, you want to fight for every point, but she played great tennis. I didnt expect that. She played a perfect match." The 10th-seeded Cibulkova found herself in more of a battle than was predicted with crowd favourite Abanda, a rising junior talent. Cibulkova advanced to a second round meeting with Britains top woman player Heather Watson, who edged Tereza Smitkova 6-4, 5-7, 6-4 in a battle of qualifiers. Abanda, ranked 209th in the world, had the crowd solidly on her side, and centre court was in a frenzy as the lanky junior used her strong ground strokes to the force errors from her 25-year-old opponent in the middle set. "I think I played one of my best tennis matches," said Abanda. "Especially playing it in Montreal in front of home and the crowd, so Im really glad I was able to deliver that in the second set. "So I guess Im just excited to know that I can actually compete against a top 10 player. Its more motivation for me to keep training and do better." Cibulkova righted herself in the third set and sealed the victory with an ace. "I knew shes young player, she has nothing to lose, she has all the support," said Cibulkova. "I just really had to calm myself. "After the second set I just sit down and I talk to myself. I was playing well the first set, I knew what I have to change. I wasnt panicking. I wasnt losing my head. That was important." There will be even more buzz for locals on Tuesday night. American qualifier Shelby Rogers downed Ajla Tomljanovic 6-4, 7-6 (5) to set up a second-round meeting on Tuesday with the star attraction of this years event, fifth-seeded Eugenie Bouchard of Westmount, Que. "I think it will be fun," said Rogers, who beat Bouchard in three sets in a lower-level tournament in 2011 in Troy, Alabama. "Obviously the crowd is going to be for her, and Im the underdog. I think its kind of a fun story. "Theres no pressure. Im just going to go out, play my game, do my best and try to enjoy the moment as much as I can." Bouchard, who has rocketed up the rankings since turning pro full time in 2013 and who reached the Wimbledon final last month, is drawn to face defending champion Serena Williams in the quarter-finals. Williams, who this week reached 200 straight weeks as world No. 1, said 20-year-old Bouchard will be a stiff test, if it happens. "I think she has a really good chance," said Williams. "Shes had a stellar year, to be honest. "Shes done better than me in a lot of the tournaments. Yeah, I think it will be a really good matchup. I hope I can get there. I feel like shell be there regardless." Williams, coming off a win Sunday at Stanford, has won the Rogers Cup three times when it was held in Toronto, but has not even played in Montreal since 2000, when she was forced to retire from the third set of the final with an injury. Shell play her first match on Wednesday. Lucie Safarova, the 15th seed, advanced with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Sorena Cirstea. She next faces Magdalena Rybarikova, a 6-1, 6-3 winner over Alison Riske. Alize Cornet beat qualifier Lauren Davis 6-3, 7-5 and will next face eighth-seeded Victoria Azarenka. Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci of Italy are the top doubles players on the WTA Tour, but both lost their opening singles matches. Sabine Lisicki downed 13th-seeded Errani 6-1, 7-5 while Barbora Zahlavova Strycova ousted Vinci 7-5, 7-5. Another Italian fell as Yulia Putinseva topped 12th-seeded Flavia Pannetta 7-6 (5), 6-3. Errani and Vinci are ranked first in doubles, having taken Wimbledon and the Australian open titles this year. But while Errani is 15th in singles, most of her success has been on clay courts, while Lisicki likes the faster surfaces. Lisicki hit the fastest recorded serve in WTA history of 211 kilometres per hour last week in the first round at Stanford, breaking Venus Williams record. Klara Koukalova beat Dutch qualifier Kiki Bertens 7-5, 7-6 (5). Zahlavova Strycova advanced to a second-round meeting with third-seeded Agnieszka Radwanska. After Abandas match, a ceremony was held on centre court to induct Arantxa Sanchez Vicario into the tournament Hall of Fame. The former world No. 1 reached the final of the Canadian Open, now called the Rogers Cup, five times between 1989 and 1998, winning twice in Montreal in 1992 and 1994. "I know they were great finals," said the Barcelona native. "I definitely had to beat Steffi (Graf) and Monica (Seles). They were my biggest rivals at the moment. "I remember the crowd was always behind me. I feel like at home here in Montreal. As I say, it was one of my favourite tournaments to come and play. In that era, I was probably one of the players that was doing really well in this tournament, and I was fighting to win the trophy. I have great memories." The 42-year-old Sanchez Vicario lost to Martina Navratilova in the 1989 final in Toronto, then reached four straight finals in Montreal. She lost at Uniprix Stadium to Seles in 1996 and 1998 Sanchez Vicario piled up 29 tournament wins in singles and another 69 in doubles before retiring from tennis in 2002. She took four grand slam titles: the French Open in 1989 (as a 17-year-old), 1994 and 1998, and the 1994 U.S. Open. She was named to the international tennis hall of fame in 2007. Air Max 90 Replica Uk . In the days leading up to the draft, TSN.ca and TSN Radio basketball analyst Duane Watson looks at some of the names that will be headlining the event. Tonight, Michigans Nik Stauskas of Mississauga, Ontario. Cheap Air Max 95 Wholesale . The seventh-ranked Berdych wants to focus on the ATP Tour after helping the Czechs beat the Netherlands in the first round. Seeking their third straight Davis Cup title, the Czechs will rely again on veteran Radek Stepanek. http://www.fakeairmaxukoutlet.com/best-max-90-trainers-cheap-uk.html . Jets head coach Paul Maurice made the announcement Saturday following the morning skate and confirmed Al Montoya will start in goal against the Dallas Stars on Sunday. Cheap Air Max 97 Uk . According to a report from ESPN, the veteran safety has signed another one-year deal with the team Raiders, the team that drafted him, and who he returned to last year after a long stint with the Green Bay Packers. Authentic Air Max 90 . -- Hee Young Park topped the leaderboard at 8 under Friday in the suspended second round of the Kingsmill Championship.ST. PAUL, Minn. -- Depleted by injuries, and maybe just due for a drop-off, the Detroit Red Wings have found their remarkable 22-season streak of reaching the playoffs in jeopardy. Well, with 12 games to go, they are still in line for a spot. Gustav Nyquists third-period goal gave the Red Wings a 3-2 victory Saturday over the Minnesota Wild, their fourth win in five games. "The young guys are playing more and more and starting to believe in themselves more and more," said Jimmy Howard, who made 28 saves. "Its a fun time of year because youre seeing what we have, and the future looks bright." Brendan Smith and David Legwand each scored on a power play for the Red Wings, who were in a 2-for-25 slump with the man advantage until getting goals on both of their opportunities in this rare afternoon start. The Red Wings also quieted the Wilds top line of Mikael Granlund, Zach Parise and Jason Pominville, held without a point for the first time in eight games. "For both teams it was a muddy track. There was no room for either team. It was just check, check, check, check, check. We found a way to get it done," Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said. The Red Wings, missing stars Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg among others, moved into eighth place in the Eastern Conference with 79 points. Columbus has 78. Mikko Koivu gave the Wild an early lead with a power-play goal, and Charlie Coyle tied it on a third-period penalty shot. But the Wild, clinging to a wild card spot in the Western Conference, fell to 2-3-4 in nine games since the trade deadline. "We cant keep letting these points go to waste. Weve got to come into every game and play a solid 60 minutes," Coyle said, "Its coming down to the wire here, and weve got to make the most of it." The Wild, who have 83 points with 11 games remaining, are in seventh place, slightly ahead of Phoenix. The first team below the cut, Dallas, has 77 points but one more game left than the Wild. Minnesota coach Mike Yeo, prepared for questions from reporters about the recent slide, tried to stress optimism.dddddddddddd "Were a confident team, and we feel good about where were going. We just have to jump start things a little bit right now," Yeo said. Just 15 seconds into the final frame, Johan Franzen, trailing Coyle on a breakaway, stuck his stick out to trip the struggling young centre. The penalty shot was awarded, the first of Coyles career. He used a slick right-left move to fake out Howard and tie the game at 2. That was Coyles second goal in 24 games. The momentum didnt last for the Wild, though. Nyquist, who has an NHL-leading 16 goals in 22 games since Jan. 20, sent a snap shot between Jared Spurgeon and Ryan Suter that Wild goalie Darcy Kuemper didnt appear to see right away and let get past his glove. The Red Wings thought they had another one barely a minute later when Franzen was called for making contact with Kuemper before the puck went in. Nyquist, who leads the Red Wings with 21 goals in just 45 of the teams 70 games since being called up from Grand Rapids of the AHL, credited centre Tomas Tatar for creating space. "He did a great job of driving the middle, and its his goal really. All I did was shoot," Nyquist said. Quipped Howard: "Us Maine guys know how to do it right." NOTES: The matinee was scheduled to accommodate the first Big Ten hockey championship game. ... The teams were due in Detroit for a Sunday night rematch, cramming their only two matchups this season into a 32-hour window. ... With Wisconsin taking on Ohio State, Suter and Wild teammate Dany Heatley had strong interest in the Big Ten title game. Heatley played two years for the Badgers from 1999-2001. Suter, a Madison area native, spent the 2003-04 season there before turning pro. ... Legwand was fined $5,000 Friday by the NHL for butting Pittsburghs Evgeni Malkin with the end of his stick when they played the Penguins on Thursday. ... Legwand has two goals and five assists in nine games since he was acquired from Nashville. ... Koivu ended a 13-game streak without a goal. He and Suter share the team lead with 32 assists. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: Anthonyfam
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 445 Themen und 449 Beiträge.

Xobor Ein Kostenloses Forum von Xobor.de
Einfach ein Forum erstellen