For me looking at the situation after a week

in Movieteam Eckernförde 28.11.2019 09:15
von ruogu1234 • Admiral ** | 271 Beiträge

The author of one of Canadas defining moments at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics is "99 per cent" certain hes retiring. Jon Montgomery, the gold-medal winning skeleton racer who celebrated his victory by chugging from a pitcher of beer handed to him by a fan, says his failed attempt to qualify for the Sochi Games will in all likelihood mark the end of his sliding career. "Im done. As a competitive athlete, this is the end of the road for me," Montgomery said in a telephone interview with The Canadian Press on Thursday, before later adding: "I would say 99 per cent of me is certain that I am done. "You wont see me (racing) next year or the year after and Im 99 per cent sure you wont see me trying to gain a spot for (the 2018 Winter Olympics in) Pyeongchang." The 34-year-old Montgomery was one of the stars of the Vancouver Games, memorably drinking from that pitcher on national television as he walked through a crowd of rabid Canadian fans in Whistler, B.C. But the Russell, Man., native struggled to find consistency on a new sled in the leadup to Sochi and missed out on a chance to defend his title in Russia. "Physically Im at the top of my game. Im going out faster than Ive ever been in my career but its a bit of a sacrifice to make sure that I dont get hurt," he said. "I dont know what sort of long-term damage Ive done to my brain but in terms of getting a concussion — which is a really distinct possibility, or a brain injury — I need to make the right choices based on my family." Montgomery said even had he made it to Sochi and topped the podium a second time, the emotions from Vancouver would have been difficult to repeat. "Nothing can ever replace your first Olympic gold medal," he said. "To have done that on home soil with friends and family and countrymen by my side ... you just cant top that." Although he wanted desperately to represent Canada again, Montgomery said hes been watching these Games intently. "Its the human drama that takes place in front of us every day during the Olympics," he said. "Its unbelievable. I enjoyed being part of it as an athlete and (enjoy) being part of it as a fan." Montgomery took the 2011-12 season off and found it difficult racing on the new sled he helped build from scratch when he returned to the track. He had used his previous sled for eight years, but felt it was necessary to go with new technology in order to defend his Olympic gold in Sochi. In the end, he never got that chance. "It was really frustrating because you had achieved a certain level of performance that you were used to being able to get back to week in and week out," said Montgomery. "Consistency is a huge part in our sport. You have to be very athletic to push the sled, but its more of a game of skill and touch. "Its about that feel and that muscle memory, that finite muscle control, and thats what I was struggling with — to get that feel and that touch back to my sliding game." Montgomerys path to Sochi was always going to be difficult after he failed to earn one of the three mens spots on Canadas World Cup team. He instead raced on a lower circuit where point values for results are lower, but was promoted to the World Cup team in January. He needed at least a fourth-place finish in his final race to get a third Canadian sled into the Olympics, but wound up a heart-breaking seventh. That disappointment aside, Montgomery is adamant he did everything possible to give himself the best chance at success. "I can say until the day I die that there wasnt anything that we didnt address," he said. "I built a gym in my home garage with equipment that I felt was necessary for me to get quicker, bigger, faster, stronger and that paid off. "With the equipment development end of things, unfortunately we didnt realize the goals that we had set for ourselves — we fell a little bit short. "It was mostly timing. An opportunity to get comfortable with the equipment that wed built was really where we fell short. But as far as making the choices and decisions we made, zero regrets." Montgomery became somewhat of a folk hero after the 2010 Games and was in Calgary on Thursday to promote Proctor & Gambles "Thank You, Mom" campaign for the 2014 Olympics. He and his mother, Joan, starred in a video highlighting how she helped him through some tough times early in his career prior to the Olympic gold medal. She played a similar role again when her son failed to qualify for Sochi. "My mom was there to help me pick myself up and move on with some purpose and dedication towards what happens next in life," said Montgomery, who hosted the first season of CTVs "Amazing Race Canada" last year and has signed on again for a second instalment that begins shooting in the spring. That television career will keep Montgomery in the public eye, but he will likely always be known as the Canadian Olympic champion who chugged beer with a gold medal around his neck. "Lots of great memories, lots of good friends and a lot of pride in what we were able to accomplish for ourselves as individuals and for us as a country," he said. "I havent given a formal (retirement) announcement. "I havent gone to a press conference and cried like Wayne Gretzky yet, but if that day comes Ill probably do that too." Rick Fox Jersey . The All Blacks played their best rugby of recent years when they beat South Africa 38-27 in Johannesburg two weeks ago, clinching the Rugby Championships in a match which has been hailed as one of the best ever played. Tom Heinsohn Jersey .com) - The disappointing Ottawa Senators hope to record consecutive wins for the first time since early November, as they visit the Boston Bruins on Friday for the opener of a home-and-home series. https://www.cheapceltics.com/302n-carsen-edwards-jersey-celtics.html .com) - A pair of programs shooting for their 10th win of the season get together at Madison Square Garden on Saturday, as the NC State Wolfpack tangle with 22nd-ranked West Virginia during the challenge round of the Gotham Classic. Stitched Celtics Jerseys . Earnshaw, 31, most recently spent time on loan in Israel with Maccabi Tel Aviv from Welsh club Cardiff City, which plays in Englands second-tier League Championship. Earnshaw began his career with Cardiff Citys youth program and turned professional in 1998. K. C. Jones Jersey . Its like being on Broadway, everything you do matters. Id want to be good though! I couldnt play here if I wasnt very good. #83217388 / gettyimages.Jamie Carragher says Englands players should have taken collective responsibility after Wayne Rooney was involved in a drinking controversy while away with the national team. The Manchester United forward was pictured looking worse for wear at a wedding reception at the England team hotel after their World Cup Qualifier against Scotland.Rooney initially apologised for his behaviour before describing the media coverage of the incident as disgraceful following Uniteds 1-1 draw against Arsenal on Saturday. But Carragher, speaking during Monday Night Footballs Twitter Q&A, does not think the Manchester United forward is solely to blame. Wayne Rooney in action during the World Cup 2018 Qualifier against Scotland The biggest problem is not Wayne Rooney or the players, the former Liverpool defender said.For me looking at the situation after a week or so, the biggest problem is the FA.Wheres all this information coming from? Every day theres another question asked. Was he allowed to stay up? The next day the answer is there. Who was he with? Theres information coming out of the FA. Wales manager Chris Coleman says he doesnt think theres a problem with Wayne Rooney having a drink on international duty Gareth Southgate was part of a squad at Euro 96 when something went on before they got to the tournament, Carragher added.It was a different climate and culture, I get that. But the way they dealt with it was collective responsibility. Wayne Rooney wasnt the only player to go out because the rest of the squad were in a night club. I know where I would want my player, in the hotel bar.Wheres the collective responsibility? Why is it all on Wayne Rooney? Sky Sports Black Friday sale Upgrade to Sky Sports now and get 12 months half price! People have said hes the captain, hes the example to the rest of the squad, who look up to him.ddddddddddddf they all love him and look up to him that much why didnt they stay in the bar with him. Why did they all go to a night club?Rooneys performances for club and country have been heavily scrutinised this season and Carragher thinks its only natural that he needs a release from the pressure.Carragher said: Have you ever thought for one minute what its like being Wayne Rooney? People may say he earns lots of money and hes got a fantastic life. Chris Coleman and Jamie Carragher answer your Twitter questions on MNF Of course he has but he cant go to a night club. The whole place would come to a standstill. He cant go out on a Saturday night so his only real chance is in the hotel bar.We talk about staff being with him, they may be some of his closest friends. How many people can he trust? They are masseurs and physios hes known for 10 to 12 years. Think of it like that. The pressure that lads been under all season.Every performance gets scrutinised so much. He shouldnt be in the team, the money hes on, Manchester United need to get rid of him, England are a better team without him.Hes a human being with family and friends. He needs a release.Upgrade to Sky Sports now and get 12 months half price. Hurry, offer ends December 4! Also See: MNF Twitter Q&A Carra on underrated Mata WATCH: Palaces problems WATCH: Chelsea & Wales 3-4-3 ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: Anthonyfam
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 445 Themen und 449 Beiträge.

Xobor Ein Kostenloses Forum von Xobor.de
Einfach ein Forum erstellen